Friday, November 2, 2012

We're Moving Backward, Not Forward

I promised myself I wouldn't write about the topic of women's rights, but I find it so heavy on my mind these days, that I must. I have done my research, so the facts are right. The opinions about women are my own. We are celebrating 100 years of International Women's Day this year. This is a world wide celebration to acknowledge the great achievements women have made worldwide, and how far they still have to come. When International Women's Day was first commemorated, gender equality and women's empowerment were largely radical ideas. Today, we celebrate the significnt progress that has been achieved through determined advocacy, practical action and enlightened policy making. Yet, in too many societies, women remain second class citizens. In America, women gained the right to vote in 1920, when the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was passed. A women's right to vote was gained only after years hard work, sacrifice, and danger to those involved in the movement. Many men wanted to hold on to what they had, power. Through the 20th century women made advances in education, jobs, and health. Women hold prominent seats in boardrooms, congress, and every type of office around the country. They educate our children, protect our streets through work as firewomen and policewomen, help us during sickness, inspire us through their music and art, and lead us in prayer. Yet, when it comes to the pay they receive, they still make 77cents for every $1 a man makes. Is that right? I don't think so. Please explain to me the thoughts of those of you who are not for equal pay for equal work. I want to understand. Women's health and reproductive rights are another area where we have made huge strides. A woman's right to choose has been the law for decades, yet many citizens want to reverse the law, and go back even further. Personhood amendments are popping up everywhere. I checked a website that went state by state, and found personhood laws ready to be voted on in many state houses. These people want life to begin a conception, in many cases with no exceptions for rape, incest or the life of the mother. Many states want to criminalize abortion, although most haven't made it clear what that means. Does the woman who was raped by her brother go to jail for getting an abortion, does the doctor who performed the abortion go to jail, or do both go to jail? We better start building some bigger jails. Here's the one that really gets me. Some lawmakers feel that a woman's boss should have control over whether or not she can get contraception through her insurance. Since 98% of women (including Catholics) use birth control, this seems like a giant step back in time. No boss or lawmaker should be telling a woman whether she can get birth control through insurance. Another example of a law that men are pushing for is in Virginia. It's the transvaginal probe law. This would require all women who wanted an abortion to have an ultrasound. In early pregnancy, the way to do an ultrasound is with a transvaginal probe. This would be mandatory. These decisions should made by a woman and her doctor, not a politician. Women have achieved success at the highest level, yet men still do not want them to have equality. As usually happens, it is the poorest women who will suffer the most, as they don't have the voice to fight back. Defunding Planned Parenthood would mean that millions of women, for whom Planned Parenthood is their only medical treatment, would not get cancer screenings, pap smears, mammograms or family planning. Instead, they'd get sick or pregnant, and we'd have more people in need of medical financial assistance. Why aren't women standing up for themselves? If these things were happening to men, there would be an outrage. Remember women burning their bras in the 1970's? What are women doing now to protect the gains we've made and continue to move forward? I'm writing this, but other than that I'm really not doing anything. I would like those of you who see this differently to let me know why. I really want to understand.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Susie, for writing about this issue. I am with you, I simply do not understand how any woman in this country can stand by and accept what is happening...voting Republican this election will serve to further allow these guys to enact laws that will take women back into the dark ages, erase the sacrifices made by so many women over almost 100 years. Is this what they want for their daughters, their granddaughters? I never thought I'd see this happen, not in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete