Wednesday, May 8, 2013

It's Almost Mother's Day

The celebration of Mother's Day comes but once a year, but what I always taught my children is that mother's day should be everyday, as should father's day. Honoring your mother should not be something that you do one day a year, but something you should be happy to do every day. That's why when mother's day rolls around and I cannot be with my children for whatever reason, I am not upset. I know my kids love me, and the respect they give me all year long tells me all I need to know. In the same way, I try to show my mother every day that I love and respect her. I do not send a card or gift on Mother's Day and feel that shows her how much I love her. Deeds speak louder than words, and it's how you live your life, day in and day out, that is important. Ron always used to say that holidays like Mother's and Father's Day were just opportunities for the greeting card companies to make money. I agree, and although it's nice to send a card, the most important thing to me is hearing a few nice words. When I get a phone call from one of my sons, it lights up my day. I remember reinforcing to my children the fact that keeping in touch was important. Even when my kids went off to college, then out living on their own, I would receive frequent phone calls, and no matter how busy I was, a few minutes on the phone with one of them brightened my day. I think most mothers do the best job they can. Yes, we hear of bad mothers all the time, abusers or neglectful mothers that put their children in danger or hurt them mentally or physically, but for the most part I think mothers try to do what's best for their children. I have noticed that when you hear athletes, singers, actors, or academic achievers talk about their past, they almost always name their mother as the driving influence in their lives. I think about athletes that have grown up in poverty, then make it to the NFL or NBA, almost invariably mention their mother or grandmother as their rock. So don't wait until Mother's Day to acknowledge your mother. She's there for you when you need her, just as you are there for your children. Sadly, she won't always be there, so let her know how important she is to you while she's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment