Monday, May 20, 2013

Juniors Is Gone, But Memories Live On

53 years ago, Juniors restaurant opened in West Los Angeles, located at Pico and Westwood Blvd. I was 14 years old at the time, and it was a favorite Sunday morning outing for our family. My mom loved the blintzes, I loved the matzo brie, my dad always ordered bacon and eggs, and for the life of me I can't remember what my sister liked. Anyway, we loved the place, as did everyone in West LA, and long lines on Sunday were evidence of this. Fast forward to 1978, and my family was again a Sunday morning fixture at Juniors. This time it was Ron and I, Brian, David and Phil. Juniors expanded around that time, and included a large bakery and take out area. The food was always good, and the restaurant was child friendly. But the thing I remember most about Juniors is the memories we created. There's nothing like eating a great meal at a Jewish deli that keeps family together. We would talk, laugh, and eat too much, and look forward to the next time we'd eat at Juniors. Juniors closed on December 26, a week before their scheduled closure. The owners, second generation of Marvin Saul(original owner), were unable to negotiate a new lease. Evidently they have been able to negotiate in the past, but this time the landlords wouldn't budge. So, a landmark restaurant in West Los Angles bites the dust. One of the current owners says it's kind of like a death. The sons who currently own Juniors grew up in the restaurant. They don't know anything else. They plan to reopen somewhere else soon. I almost forgot to say that their deli platters were extraordinary, and every funeral, superbowl, mothers and fathers day for 20 years included deli platters from Juniors. They will be missed. So delis are becoming scarce in WLA. Of course there's Nate 'N Al and Jerrys (in Westwood), but the other choices, Fromin's and Factor's are far away. At least WLA has delis. We don't have anything in north county that could be considered a deli. (don't tell me about Nosh, I've been there) I remember when Zucky's closed in Santa Monica. It too had been a Westside fixture for decades, and its closing really made me sad. After all, it was the site of my first date with Ron. It was a Saturday in June, 1969, and we went to Zucky's for breakfast, then to Hollywood Park for a day at the races. It was the beginning of a fast and furious romance, as we were married nine months later. Both delis provided me with family memories to last a lifetime. I'm sure I'm not alone. Juniors will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment