Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mediterranean Wheatberry Salad

I had a luncheon in May. I think everyone enjoyed the food. I made three different salads, instead of having a main course. I served a chicken salad with cranberries, a butternut squash salad that everyone loved, and a Mediterranean wheatberry salad, for which I will now give you the recipe. What are wheatberries, you ask? They're similar to brown rice or farro. They're nutty tasting, and a little crunchy. You can do so much with them. This particular salad can be modified to include any vegetables you have on hand. These are just the ones that I used on this particular day. Make it your own by adding whatever you like. Mediterranean Wheatberry Salad 2 cups cooked wheatberries (available in bins at Spouts) that's the only place I've found them 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 12 kalmata olives, pitted and chopped fresh pomegranetes (available at Trader Joe's) use about 3/4 of the package (can substitute dried cherries, cranberries or apricots) cherry tomatoes (halved) 3/4 red pepper, diced 1/4 red onion, diced (optional) Persian cucumber, chopped Balsamic vinegar and oil Cook wheatberries in plenty of water for about 40 minutes. They should have a bite to them. Don't overcook and make them mushy. Drain in a collander and cool. Add all the other ingredienta, except the balsamic vinegar and oil. The amounts you use depend on your taste. I like lots of pomegranetes, but I left out the red onion. Your choice. Cheese is not necessary if you want it to be a vegan dish, or you may use another kind of cheese. You can also add chicken or tofu for protein. After all the ingredients have been incorporated, drizzle about 1/4 olive oil and 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. You can do it without oil if you like, but I think it's a little better with the olive oil. I generally make this dish the day before to give all the flavors a chance to meld, then on the day of serving, I add a little more balsamic vinegar. This keeps in the refrigerator for about a week, and is great for a quick lunch. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment