Monday, February 22, 2016

Sushi On The Rocks

I finally had a leisure day.  I began with four games of Pickleball, my new favorite pasttime.  Next, I ran errands.  Finally, I decided to try a neighborhood place for lunch.  I settled on Sushi On The Rocks, a local sushi restaurant in small shopping center.  What a wonderful find.  I can't wait to return. 

I was greeted at the sushi bar by the sushi chef, with whom I immediately struck up a conversation.  He had just relocated to Oceanside from Florida.  He was working hard to make ends meet, working at Sushi On The Rocks, and at a second sushi restaurant in Del Mar.  He was a great addition to the restaurant, as he was not only friendly to customers, he was a fine sushi chef.

I ordered several cut rolls.  Everything was fresh and delicious, as you can see from the pictures.  I was interested to find out that the wasabi I had been eating for years, was not really fresh wasabi.  The green paste that you usually get in sushi restaurants is a mixture of wasabi root and horseradish.  Sushi On The Rocks has real, fresh wasabi.  It is ground from the root and served as a condiment for sushi.  The fresh wasabi was delicious.  It's not hot the way I expected it to be, but rather mild.  My whole experience at Sushi On The Rocks was great, and I can't wait to go back for dinner.  Although Ron doesn't like sushi, they had lots of other options.  Several types of tempura, both vegetable and shrimp were available, as was chicken or beef teriyaki.  I will try it again soon.  If you have a chance, go to Sushi On The Rocks in Oceanside for lunch or dinner.  You'll be happy you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment