Monday, February 8, 2016

You"re Never Too Old To Try Something New

I've cooked a few thousand meals in the almost 46 years I've been married.  Until now, Ron hasn't cooked a meal or shown any interest in doing so.  About two weeks ago Ron informed me that  he'd like to learn how to cook, more specifically bake!  I couldn't believe it, but as he kept asking me when we were going to make our first dessert, I realized he wasn't kidding.  Ron is spending more time at home these days, and cooking is a great hobby, and so rewarding.

Ron decided on Tarte Tatin for his first endeavor.  I've made many apple tarts in my life, but never tarte tatin.  I bought the ingredients, and Friday afternoon Ron made a tarte tatin.  I wish I had a picture of his face when he took it out of the oven, inverted it (the bottom becomes the top like pineapple upside down cake), and saw a PERFECT tart.  Even I was surprised.  He had assembled the apples in a way other than recommended by the recipe, but it came out looking beautiful.  He was so proud of his first effort that he sent a picture of the tart to almost everyone he knew.

That night we went to dinner with Laura and Richard, and afterward came back to our house to enjoy Ron's tarte tatin and vanilla ice cream.  It was so good that Richard had seconds.

Every week Ron will try something new.  His next dessert will be Napoleons.  His will be made with whipped cream and strawberries.  (no custard).  He'll try that next week, and I'll let you know the results.  It's great to see him so enthusiastic and happy in the kitchen.  There's no greater reward than making a beautiful meal, for yourself or others, and getting ooo's and ahh's from your friends.  Who doesn't like to be appreciated for their efforts?

No comments:

Post a Comment