Wednesday, February 1, 2017

I Can't Eat Like I Used To

I used to be able to go out for a 7:30 dinner and eat a large steak, baked potato, salad, maybe some appetizers and a dessert and wine, and of course some bread, and go home at 10:00 and fall into bed and sleep soundly.  Those days are gone.

7:30 dinners are out for me.  I enjoy eating around 6pm (a little later if it's a nice, fancy restaurant), to give dinner a chance to settle before going to sleep.  The dinner I described above, is something I no longer eat.  Ron and I almost  always split a steak, if we are in Flemmings, Ruth Chris, or Island Prime.  4-6 ounces of meat is just enough!  And all those sides and appetizers, well, I just can't eat them anymore.  My appetite is smaller, and the heartburn I suffer after eating such a meal, keeps me from eating like I used to.

I think man was meant to graze.  That is when I feel best.  Five little meals is what I like.  I think this is the best way to go, as you never get too hungry.  Ron and I will keep splitting our meals when possible.  It saves money and it gives us just the proper portion.  Americans are famous for large portions, so actually a single meal is probably the right size for two adults, not one.  Now, all we have to do is want to order the same things.  That's our biggest problem.  Ron's a meat and potatoes guy, while I'm a quinoa, kale, sweet potato  and tofu gal.  Hard to see eye to eye on what to order, but at least at Flemmings, we're on the same page.  One salad to share, one steak to share, one side to share, and one glass of wine for the two of us.  A perfect dinner, and a good night's sleep will surely follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment