Friday, June 22, 2018

Pepper Tree Frosty Since 1953

An old fashioned ice cream stand in Vista that I just heard about?  Yup, it's true.  Pepper Tree Frosty has been located on Santa Fe Road in Vista since 1953, but my first visit to this iconic ice cream and food stand  was in June, on the recommendation of our friend Dan.  Ron and I stopped by for an afternoon delight, delicious soft serve vanilla ice cream topped with hot fudge and caramel sauce for $2.55.  I ordered the small size and ended throwing about 1/3 of it out.  It was too big to finish.

No matter what time of day you go to Pepper Tree Frosty (hours are 10am-10pm) there will be a line.  When we went at 3:30pm there were about 10 people in line.  That gave me plenty of time to study the menu and figure out what to order.  There are sundaes made with soft serve or hard ice cream, milk shakes and malts, probably 20 different flavors, slushes (flavored shaved ice), dipped soft serve ice cream cones, dipped bananas, brownies topped with ice cream and sauce, and old fashioned banana splits, with three or four scoops of ice cream.  The banana splits can be topped with several toppings, including marshmallow sauce, hot fudge, butterscotch or caramel, pineapple and strawberry sauce.  Add whipped cream, nuts and a cherry, and memories of the 1950's will come roaring back.  Remember sitting at a lunch counter and enjoying (usually sharing) a banana split?  I sure do.  The difference is, that back then I could finish one.  Now, I'd only eat about a quarter of it.

Next time you need an ice cream fix, go to Vista to Pepper Tree Frosty.  They have an outdoor seating area, long picnic tables, but no inside seating.  This is a stand.  Prices are reasonable.  I think the banana split was around $5.50.  You will love the choices, but be prepared to wait in line.  Oh, they have food too, but I didn't sample it.  I'll save that for next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment