Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Try Market For Your Next Special Occasion

11 years ago Market Bistro and Bar opened in Del Mar, right on Via de la Valle, across from the polo fields.  Well, I finally had a chance to eat there last week, thanks to an invitation from our friend Laura.  Laura recently celebrated a big birthday, and her foodie son David, who owns and operates a fine dining restaurant in Florida, gave her a $400 gift certificate to Market for her birthday.  Laura and Richard invited Ron and I to join them for dinner, which we happily did.  We spent every last penny of that $400 gift certificate!  So now that you know how expensive Market is, you are probably wondering, is it worth it?  My answer is YES,YES, YES.  The dinner was the best I've had since I've been in San Diego, and that includes places like Mr. A's, Pamplemousse, and all the great steak houses.  Here's just a sample of what we ate.

Before getting to the food, I must say that Market is a comfortable restaurant.  It is classy, with white table cloths, but not stuffy.  The wait staff is friendly and casual, not stuffy or aloof.  The restaurant has comfortable leather chairs and is dimly lit.  I think they are going for fine dining without the attitude.  They succeeded.

Starters included corn soup, foie gras and torchon with blueberry jam, amberjack tartare and shaved radish salad, blue cheese souffle with Santa Rosa plums, and crispy soft shell crab with peaches (or mango) and a cruncy Thai cabbage slaw.  Our table had the soft shell crab, blue cheese souffle, and foie gras.  The artistry in the kitchen was amazing.  Every plate was perfection.  I had the soft shell crab, finished it quickly, and wanted more.  It was that good.  The entrees included miso marinated black cod with spring onion broth, spring lamb with artichoke ravioli, and grilled beef tenderloin with white cheddar cheese souffle.  OMG, the lamb was delicious  I overate, and paid the price that night.  Neither Ron or I could get to sleep.  Prilosec can only help so much.

I'm not used to eating such large, rich meals, and I won't do that again soon.  Next time I go, I plan to order two appetizers.  I just can't eat the way I used to.  A small taste of each item is what I'd really like.,P>

That reminds me.  Market also offers a tasting menu for $79 per person.  For an extra $45 you can have wine pairings with each course.  Now that would be something!  I highly recommend Market for your next big event, or just a big splurge.  It's well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment