Friday, June 15, 2018

What Makes You Feel Alive?

I was talking to my son Phil one morning, and he informed me he might not be able to run in a race he has been training for.  He hurt his back, carrying a heavy pack while backpacking, and doesn't know if he'll recover in time.  He's disappointed, but realizes there will be another race at another time.  I asked him why he has run 700 miles and biked many more miles training for this event.  He said that running, biking, and pushing himself physically, makes him feel alive.  I pondered this for a few moments, and liked what he was saying.  Most of us go through our days, our weeks, even years, doing the same thing day after day.  I thought about what makes me feel alive, and enjoyed thinking about this, and came up with the following things:  boogie boarding, playing pickleball, walking at the beach, watching the surf break and feeling the wind on my face, driving in a convertible, skiing (not so much anymore), hiking to the top of a mountain and enjoying the view, and watching my grandchildren.

When I started boogie boarding about 15 years ago, I said that more than anything other than skiing, boogie boarding made me feel like a kid again.  It makes me feel free, young, alive.  Pickleball does the same thing.  Wind and water make me feel alive.  I love driving in a convertible and feeling the wind on my face.  Going to the beach on a windy day, walking in the surf and listening to the sounds of the ocean and birds, makes me feel alive.  Enjoying nature, especially a hike to the top of a mountain, makes me feel alive and appreciate the beauty we have all around.  As Phil said, running or biking until breathless makes him feel alive!

Everyone will have their own list on what makes them feel alive.  I enjoyed thinking about it, and I imagine my list will change as I think more about it.  Make your own list.  It's great to be alive and we should all engage in activities that push us.  It's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment