Friday, October 2, 2020

Eating Out During Covid-19

 As you probably know by now, I love to eat out, so Covid-19 has put a real crimp in my style.  For many months we could not eat out, and take out is not something I enjoy.  Then things started to open, and at first I was hesitant to venture out, but after several experiences at restaurants, and seeing how the places I had been had gone overboard to keep customers safe, I have been eating out often.  Some places are better than others, but here's a short list of places I have enjoyed in North County in the past few months.  I have also eaten out in Los Angeles, as I have visited my mom several times and she loves to eat out and can't find many friends to venture out with, so we always have a few meals out while I am there.  I won't bore you with the L.A. restaurants, but there are some very good ones.  Here's are places I've enjoyed that are close to home.

1.  Black Rail (the old Tuscany) probably has the prettiest outdoor setting of them all.  It's a huge patio, tables spaced far apart, nice lighting, heating and friendly servers.

2.  101 Diner in Encinitas.  This has always been one of my favorite places for breakfast or lunch.  Their apple pancake can't be beat.  As many restaurants on their street have done, they have set up umbrellas and tables on the sidewalk and street.  It is festive and so much fun!

3.  Panera in Solana Beach or Carlsbad are great choices for outdoor dining.  They both have big patios and lots of seating, and the food is ok.

4.  Breakfast Republic in Encinitas is another one of my favorite breakfast spots.  They have also moved outside.  Numerous tables and umbrellas have been set up in front of the restaurant and in the parking lot.

5.  ShoreHouse in Carlsbad.  I love this place on State St. in old Carlsbad.  They have always had a huge outdoor eating area, but they have expanded it and put in more seating in the parking lot at the back of the restaurant.

6.  Del Lusso in Carlsbad is a relatively new Italian restaurant.  It opened just a few months before the pandemic hit.  Owner Walter is wonderful, and will do anything to make you feel comfortable.  They have a good patio in the front of the restaurant, and lots of great food choices.

7.  Broken Yolk in Encinitas, San Marcos and Oceanside.  It's not my favorite breakfast place, but they have done an excellent job of setting up a big outdoor restaurant in each of these locations.  Every time I go by one of them, they're packed.  (in a social distance sort of way). 

A few other places to consider are WR in Bressi Ranch, Pill Box in Solana Beach and Kings in Carlsbad are other good options.  

Eat out, and enjoy, but stay safe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment