Friday, February 12, 2021

CopyCat Culture: Cloning Your Pet

 Cloning your dog or cat has become big business.  The largest company doing this in the United States is Viagen.  They charge about $50,000 to clone your dog, and around $35,000 to clone your cat.  Often owners take tissue samples of their pet and freeze them.  Pet can also be cloned if the pet has already died by extracting a tissue sample.

Advocates of cloning pets say that you have an exact replica of your beloved pet, just born at another time.  Cloning cats was first done at Texas A and M in 2001, then in 2005 the first dog was cloned in Seoul, Korea.  The cost of cloning prohibits most people from this procedure.  Several famous people have cloned their dogs, Barbra Streisand and Diane Von Furstenburg being among them.  Do I think cloning pets is a good idea?  No, I think it is a terrible idea.  Morally and ethically it not something I believe in.

I feel that each animal pet, just like every person on earth, is unique.  I have had many pets (mostly dogs) in my life, and each, in its own way was unique and special.  Morally, I feel that with all the homeless dogs and cats on this earth, creating a copy cat of one we loved, is wrong.  We need to provide homes for the homeless pets.  I also think that the next step in cloning could be humans.  Most people think that this is wrong, so why is it not wrong for pets?  I think it is!  I have loved every dog I have ever had for their individuality and one of a kind personality.  I have never felt the need to create a replica of a pet I already had.  Part of the fun of a new pet is watching it grow and develop, never knowing exactly how that pet will turn out.  I firmly believe in rescuing pets and this will always be the way I acquire a new dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment