Wednesday, February 24, 2021

How Much Birdie Juice Will You Drink During 18 Holes of Golf?

 One of the few activities that is safe during the pandemic, is golf.  I've been playing more, getting better, and meeting some new people.  I recently filled in as the fourth in a group of very nice ladies.  I was invited by my friend Sue, but the two other players were new to me.  

This group was a real kick.  On hole number 2, one of the women said, "When are we going to have some birdie juice?"  I didn't know what it was, but I found out when Sue got the first birdie of the day.  One of the ladies pulled out a flask and little dixie cups!  I said to myself, "What's going on?"  Apparently their tradition is that one of the players brings a whiskey flask filled with her favorite drink (we enjoyed butterscotch schnapps) and little cups for everyone.  After every birdie, there is a quick drink for everyone.  The better your group plays, the more birdie juice you drink.  Good golfers could return drunk.  Our group was not that good.  We only had two birdies (amongst the four of us) in 18 holes, so only two chances to drink the delicious birdie juice.  

I can't wait to golf with them again.  Next time someone else will bring the birdie juice, so it will be a different alcoholic beverage.  Whatever it is, the tradition is an incentive to make birdies.  This is just a fun way to make golf more fun than it already is!

No comments:

Post a Comment