Monday, February 21, 2022

Winter Soup


 I'm back at WW (Weight Watchers) for maybe the 40th time in my life.  I'm not kidding.  Every time it's the same thing.  I lose 10-15 pounds, then never get the final 10 pounds off.  Well, my friend Fern is a lifetime member, and she encouraged me to start again in January.  She thought I would like the new program (there's always a new program) and I do.  I am approaching it a little differently this time, though.  Instead of setting long term and short term goals as I have done in the past, I am approaching it more like AA.  One day at a time.  I'm just trying to get through each day, then wake up the next day as if it were my first day on the program.  So far, so good.  

I like to cook, so I'm taking advantage of  the many food choices and doing lots of cooking.  One soup I made a few weeks ago is delicious, low calorie, and low in points.  Anyone would love it.  Here's the recipe.  It makes a lot, so I always have in the refrigerator as an emergency snack.

                                                                  Winter Veggie Soup With Chicken

1 container low sodium chicken broth (32 ounces..can be with salt if you prefer)

4carrots, diced

1onion, diced

1/2 butternut squash, cubed

1 chicken breast cooked and cut or shredded into bite size pieces

8 tiny red potatoes, quartered

squeeze of lemon

herbs and spices, your choice

Combine all ingredients, simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.  The soup will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.

I used fresh chopped parsley, oregano, basil and salt.  If you want some spice, add red pepper flakes.  Also, if you have leftover chicken from Costco's rotisserie chicken, just shed it up and use it in the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment