Wednesday, April 13, 2022

What a History This Pot Must Have

 




This dutch oven is an antique.  Inside the top of the lid is printed "Patented Feb. 10, 1920.  Erie, Pa., USA."  In the very center it says Griswold.  That must be the manufacturerer.  The lid itself weighs over 5 pounds.  The pot itself must weigh another 5 pounds. 
 
Why am I even telling you all this?  Well, I'm doing alot of cooking lately, and I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to buy one of those beautiful Le Crueset Dutch Ovens.  She mentioned that she had an old cast iron one that had belonged to her mother.  Did I want to take it home and use it?  Of course I did.  I made this beautiful vegetarian minestrone soup.  It's got everything it it but the kitchen sink, and is it ever delicious.  

As I was cooking, I was thinking about where this pot has been for the past 100 years, and what kind of dishes might have been made in it.  I never knew my grandmother to cook anything, so wonder why she even had it.  It may have started in Texas, then gone to New York before landing in California.  It's fun to have something this old that belonged to family.




No comments:

Post a Comment