Friday, April 22, 2022

What Is Your Greatest Fear?

 The Friday discussion group at Ocean Hills, expertly led by my friend Regina, is always a stimulating and provocative hour.  Our February meeting did not disappoint.  One of our long time members, Don, always has something thought provoking to begin the morning.  He posed the question, "What is your greatest fear?"  Everyone responded, which is highly unusual.

Don began the discussion with his lifelong fear of needles.  One woman had a fear of falling off a ledge, a fear she recognized while hiking years ago, and continues to this day.  Most people had the same fear.  "I don't want to become a burden on my husband or children.  I don't want to lose my independence."  This was far and away most people's greatest fear.  Globally, many mentioned they fear losing our democracy, or fear climate change destroying our planet.  Finally, there was one man who said he really didn't fear anything.  His father had survived the Stalin era in Russia, many people in his family had survived the Holocaust in Germany, and he did not fear anything.  I get it.

The most interesting thing about the question to me was this.  No one mentioned getting Covid or dying from Covid as their greatest fear.  I think a year ago many would have thought differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment