Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Remembering An Old Friend

 Fran Raboff died a few weeks ago.  She would have turned 100 in December.  She was my mom's first friend in Los Angeles, over 75 years ago, and as a result of their friendship, she was someone I knew and admired my whole life.

When my parents first moved to Los Angeles in 1946, they met Fran and Albert Raboff.  The two women hit it off, so when it came time to purchase a house and my parents didn't know much about Los Angeles neighborhoods, they decided to buy Fran and Albert's neighborhood.  What a great move.  They will lifelong friends, and our families did everything together.

I was reminiscing with Ellen (the oldest daughter, just a few months younger than myself) about her mom.  Fran was a woman who did it all. She was a  painter, a sculptor, a ceramist, a gourmet cook, a teacher, a writer. a friend.  I have so many memories of our times together, but here are just a few.

Every Thanksgiving, we would go to the Raboff's.  They had a large family, and since we were almost family, we were included.  We had a feast like you wouldn't believe!  To this day I remember one dish Fran made every year that I absolutely loved.  It was a stewed fruit compote with chestnuts.  I loved it so, but in all these years, I have never tried to make it.

When my son David was a little boy, we lived about six blocks from Fran and Albert.  David learned to love Fran as I did.  She called her "The cookie lady."  Several times a week we would walk to her house for  short visit, and of course, for cookies!  We all loved the time together.

In the 1980's, Fran and her cooking friend Eleanor, began teaching cooking classes at night at a local high school.  I enlisted a few of my friends to join the class, and we went every week for years.  It was one of the most enjoyable classes ever.  I learned so much, in fact, Fran may have been the influence that got me cooking! 

Fran was a beloved woman.  She will be missed.  She had a long, productive, mostly happy and healthy life.  I guess that's all anyone could want.

No comments:

Post a Comment