Friday, July 1, 2022

Terms of Identity

 I was at Moonlight Theatre a few weeks ago, to see their spectacular production of Memphis.  I was so impressed with the quality of the singing, dancing and overall production.  I was reading the program, and I noticed many of the credits called people more than one pronoun.  A man might have been called "he and they,"  Or someone could be called "she and it,"  I'm confused.

I started to research what this all means and I ended up learning more about "terms of identity."  These are terms used to describe yourself, such as "assigned at birth" refers to what sex you were at birth.  Here are some of the other terms

FTM (female to male transgender)

MTF

Cisgender- someone who does not identify as transgender

Gender queer or non binary- people whose gender identity falls outside the binary categories of man or woman.

There are a number of surgical procedures that people are using today to become FTM or MTF.  Some of them include the following:  HRT (hormone replacement therapy), breast augmentations, chest masculinization (chest augmentation), facial feminization, surgical facial masculine surgery, metordioplasty, penile construction.

I have to say I consider myself open minded, but I am puzzled by gender changes, especially in young people, who I feel are not yet ready to make life changing decisions.  I began this blog to talk about the various pronouns people use to describe themselves, but I will leave that for another day.

It's all new to me.  I don't want to disrespect someone by calling them the wrong thing, so I will research more and find out what is the appropriate way to address a FTM, MTF or gender queer non binary person.

No comments:

Post a Comment