Monday, July 18, 2022

We Are Creatures of Habit

 I was having dinner with friends Fran (my Saturday walking partner) and Jim (her husband) a few weeks ago.  He had barbequed some burnt ends and corn on the cob.  If you don't know what burnt ends are, you should.  They are the ends of a brisket, cut into small pieces, barbequed and served with barbeque sauce.  
Anyway, it was a delicious meal.

About half way through the meal, Jim turns to me and says, "Do you always eat your corn like that?"  I wasn't sure what he was talking about, but he was referring to the fact that I ate it in a circular motion.  Ate one part, then turned the corn and ate all around the cob before moving to the next section.  He said he ate his like a typewriter!  I never noticed that before, but yes, he went all the way across the cob before rotating and starting on the next row.

This observation got me thinking.  We are such creatures of habit.  There are so many things that we do exactly the same, all the time.  Here are a few "creatures of habit" actions that I thought of.  I always put the same pant leg  (or underwear) on first (right), always put my shoes on, right foot first.  When I eat a plate of food, I always take a little of everything , like a bite of chicken, then veggies and then potatoes.  I know others that eat in a specific order, first the potatoes, then the meat, then the veggies.  When I visit friends that I know well, I usually sit in the same chair every time I visit.  I remember the lunch room at school when I was teaching.  Everyone sat in the same place everyday for years!  

I could go on, but you get the idea.  Examine your routines and you will find you too are a creature of habit.  I've heard it's good for the brain to mix it up, so I try to that.  Things like brushing your hair with your non dominant hand, or eating with your non dominant hand are hard.  It's easy to get into a habit, but hard to break one, not that any of these habits are of any consequence, but it's fun to discover that we have so many, and they are hard to change.

Next time I eat corn on the cob I will try to eat it "typewriter style."

No comments:

Post a Comment