Friday, December 2, 2022

Revisiting Old Friends

 I moved to North County 20 years ago.  The first, and best thing I did, was join Newcomers.  The friends I made in those first few years are still in my life, even with all the ups and downs and changes that have taken place in my life.  One of the first activities I helped organize was a boogie boarding group.  There were about 7 of us:  Susie, Fran, Kim, Barbara, Linda, Christie and Christa.  Actually, Christa came up with the idea of getting a little flag to mark our location on the beach.  Most of us showed up to a boogie boarding reunion, which Fran organized in October.  

Many of us have moved away from Newcomers.  Linda lives most of the year in New Hampshire, Christa has moved to Carlsbad by the Sea, I live in Ocean Hills, so it's hard for us to get together much.  We met at 11:30 on a Friday morning for a beach picnic, followed by boogie boarding in 65 degree water.

What a treat it was to have our group together, and to get in the ocean.  It was fun catching up with everyone.  I have to be honest.  I was a little worried about catching the waves again after such a long absence.  Knee replacement, rotator cuff repair, and a broken wrist, have kept me out of the water for quite a while.  After one or two waves, it all came back, and I felt relaxed and happy.  What a thrill it is to ride the waves.

Another highlight of the day was meeting up with Alex and David, longtime Newcomers too.  We were eating lunch,  and I saw them walking, wasn't quite sure it was them as I haven't seen then in probably 10 years, but we called out to Alex, and she responded.  They were as thrilled to see us as we were to see them.  They have gone through some difficult times, but seem to be enjoying life once again.

There is nothing like catching up with old friends.  Our reunion at the beach and our chance encounter with old friends Alex and David, got me thinking.  If you're thinking about an old friend, call him.  You never know about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment