Monday, February 15, 2010

Fourth Visit to Taft

Books on tape are wonderful for helping a long drive pass quickly. Every week I visit the library and select an audio book for my Friday drive. This week I listened to the medical legal drama, Crisis, by Robin Cook. It held my attention, and I arrived at Taft in no time flat (actually it was three hours and fifteen minutes.

I arrived this week at 8:30, and already the visiting room was filling up. I like to get there early for a good seat. Otherwise you may end up in a corner without a table, or on a bench on the outside patio if the weather is nice. The visiting room at Taft is such a happy place. I watched delighted children run into the arms of their daddys. I saw fathers on the floor playing games with their little boys, giving their infants a bottle, or just having their little girl sit in their lap, content to be held by dad. Each inmate can have up to five visitors at a time, and often a whole family comes to visit. Children, parents, grandparents and friends, most inmates have a very supportive network. Ron tells me constantly how much he looks forward to my visits and what they mean to him. For now, I will be there every week. Even though we talk on the phone every day, there's nothing like being with the one you love.

I won't usually write by name about the men Ron has met at Taft, but one particular inmate is well known in the prison community and is someone you would want to know. His name is Michael Santos. Prior to Ron's self surrendering, he read and talked to everyone he could about what to expect at Taft. Michael was one of those people. He has been incarcerated for over 20 years, and will be released in 2013. As he said, he made some very bad choices as a young man, and has spent most of his adult life in various prisons. He will be at Taft until his release. He, with the help of his wife Carol, write a blog where you can read more about Michael and his journey. He has spent his time in prison educating himself, writing about the prison system so that others can know what to expect, and has become an advocate for prison reform. I would expect him to be a motivational speaker or something like that when he gets out. I had the pleasure of meeting him Friday. He has a big smile,a warm handshake, and a great attitude. Read more about him at michaelsantos.net. He wrote about Ron on his blog on January 26. I think you'll be impressed with his story.

For every Michael Santos, there are dozens of con men and grifters who meet you and immediately try to figure out if you're someone they can scam. Ron has learned quickly how to identify these men and stay away. They come on strong, but you know they want something. You've got to be selective in the friendships you make. There is always someone looking to take advantage.

With Valentine's Day yesterday, I thought I might be down, but not at all. I was with Ron Friday, got a cute card from him Saturday, and beautiful flowers from my children the same day. I'm very happy. More from Taft next Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment