Monday, February 1, 2010

Second Visit to Taft

I was up bright and early Saturday morning, excited about my visit to Taft. It's a 3 1/2 drive from Carlsbad and I like to be there when visiting hours begin. I set the clock for 4:30am, but my excitement woke me up earlier. I left at 4:40, and pulled into the camp at 7:50. I wizzed through downtown L.A. and Hollywood without ever hitting the brakes. It's the best time to travel. It was also the night of the brightest moon in 2010. What a wonderful sight. As I drove through the Grapevine, scattered clouds above, and a big old brilliant moon shining down,I was in awe of the beauty of our world. It was really something. I thought of my friend Jan, and wished she was there with her camera.

Earlier in the week Ron had told me about a book he was reading, a book everyone at Taft reads. It's called Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. He wanted me to read it too, so we could discuss it, so I went to the library last week and got the audio version to listen to on my long drive to Taft. I have to say this is pretty heavy reading for early in the morning, but I finished most of the book before I arrived. If you haven't read it, I recommend it. Frankl was an Austrian psychiatrist before he was imprisoned in four different concentration camps over a period of four years, from 1941-1945. His entire family was lost in the Holocaust. He writes about how victims of this horrific event found hope and a meaning to keep fighting, to live. It's a very enlightening book. The latter part of the book describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. His theory is logotherapy. It is on a list of the ten most influential books in the U.S.

Ron came out to greet me around 8:10, a big smile on his face, and looking even better than he looked the first time I saw him. Physically, he continues to lose weight, exercise and eat right. He walks the 1/3 mile track every morning, increasing his distance one lap per day. He is up to six laps , on his way to 15 laps. Walking is great. It takes up time and it keeps him in top shape. His diabetes is under control, and they are weaning him off his drugs. Mentally, he could not be doing any better. He has joined every group you can imagine, made many new friends, started reading, and in general making himself a better person. He gave his first Toastmasters speech last week, thoroughly enjoyed the group and is planning another speech for next week. He also joined the horticulture group, and will be planting and growing spring and summer veggies in a few weeks. Next week he plans to go to the arts and crafts room and find out what he can get involved in there. Also, he'll be getting a job in another week, probably something that takes no more than an hour a day, but it's another something to do. So he will be busy.

It reminds me a bit of the Army. Everyone watches out for everyone else. When someone new arrives, someone is there to show him the ropes, to warn him what to do and what not to do. One thing he learned from the beginning is that respect is most important. When you walk into the dining hall and want to sit with someone, always ask if you can join them. When you go into the T.V. room, always ask if the spot you want is taken (seniority rules in the tv room and you better not sit in anyone else's chair). In the shower rooms, which are completely private and as nice as anything you can imagine, mind your own business and don't bother anyone. These are unwritten rules, but everyone follows them.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet one of Ron's bunkies, a 28 year old man from California. What a wonderful young man. He has looked out for Ron since he arrived, has a wonderful attitude toward life, and a beautiful smile on his face at all times. He's the cook in their little group. He has spices in his locker, so if they don't like the dinner or are having a party, this young man is the cook. He makes guacamole, tuna sandwiches and other concoctions out of the food they buy from the commissary and his spices. He's also the guy to go to if you need something. The first week Ron was there he had no pillow or laundrybag. His bunkie knew who was leaving and was able to acquire a pillow and laundrybag for Ron. I think it's wonderful how these men, old and young, black, brown and white are all in it together and help each other get through it. Although their experience in no way mirrors Viktor Frankl's concentration camp experience, I know why they read the book. There is so much in there that they can apply to their own lives.

Our visit ended around 12:30. A big family had just arrived, we were sitting at a big table and had to move to a less comfortable area. Saturday is a big visiting day. Lots of wives, children, mothers, fathers and friends visiting their loved ones. A large percent of the population there is under 30, so you have many men with families with small children. They have a playroom for the kids and lots of games for the families to play. From now on my visits will always be on Fridays. Each inmate gets 20 points worth of visits per month. Fridays are 4 points, Saturday and Sunday are 8 points, so if you want to go every week, you have to go on Friday. I think it will be less crowded, but getting through L.A. might be more difficult. Whatever it takes, I'll try to be there most Fridays. It's something I look forward to all week. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment