Friday, February 12, 2010

Lightening Up Old Favorites


You may have noticed that lately I have had less food related blogs. This is because I am eating less food! I am determined to make this the last time I lose those extra 20 pounds and keep it off for good. This will be a year and a half of personal growth for me, which includes getting myself in good physical and mental shape. So, with that in mind, I have a lightened version of a hamburger and sour cream casserole which I made a few weeks ago, and just loved. I have recently discovered bulgar (wheat). I made a light vegetarian chil with it (I'll share that at another time), then the hamburger casserole. I hope you enjoy it.

Hamburger and Sour Cream Casserole

2 scallions, trimmed
1/2 pound ground beef (or ground turkey), lean cut
1 1/2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup bulgar
2 cloves minced garlic
2-8oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
6ounces no yolk egg noodles (I substituted whole wheat penne pasta)
1 cup 1 percent cottage cheese
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/4 cup grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or spray with nonstick spray, a 2-quart baking dish. Cook ground meat in a large skillet, drain liquid and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Wipe out skillet, add oil to the pan, then bulgur, garlic and white part of scallions, chopped. Cook, stirring, until the veggies soften. Add tomato sauce, water and meat, simmer for 15 minutes, until the bulgur is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook noodles until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; fold in sour cream and the scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper.

Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the baking dish, top with half the cheese mixture and half the meat sauce. Repeat with remaining noodles, cottage cheese and sauce. Sprinkle Cheddar on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

Serves 6. Calories per serving 377, Total fat 14. It's a great, filling, stick to your ribs kind of dinner. Just add a salad. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment