Monday, September 12, 2011

Catching Up

It's amazing how quickly you can catch up with people you haven't seen in a long time. For the first time since my father's funeral, I had most of my immediate family together. My three children, my two daughter in laws, three grandsons, and my mom. Unfortunately Ron could not be there as we met in Los Angeles, and he cannot travel there yet.

The occasion was the wedding of Phil's sister in law, Leslie in Rancho Cucamonga on a Saturday night. Phil and his family came to LA early, and stayed a day late so we could all get together. We all spent Sunday afternoon at my mom's house, and it was a memorable time for me. The kids were running everywhere, exploring, chasing the dog, spilling the milk, have a grand time. It didn't take long for everyone to feel like getting together was something we did all the time. We don't, but in no time flat it felt like we did.

We recently had Ron's high school friends Phil and Ellen here. They had not spent much time together in many years, but after one evening of retelling old stories, asking about classmates, and basically summarizing the last few decades of their lives, they all felt like they've never been apart. Catching up doesn't take long.

I know that when I go to Colorado to see Phil's family, I never think I'll have enough time. In reality I always have plenty of time. It doesn't take much time to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment