Friday, September 30, 2011

New and Improved Food Trucks


I wrote about food trucks about 6 months ago, and although the food overall was delicious, it was not really the way I like to eat a meal. I went to Venice (in Los Angeles) on a Friday night for their big food truck happening. There were over 30 trucks in attendance, hundreds, probably thousands of people, but nowhere to sit and eat. It was not my idea of how I like to eat dinner.

Six months down the road and San Diego, which had only a few trucks at the time, is loaded with restaurants on wheels. The best website to find your favorite trucks and their locations is www.sdfoodtrucks.com. Each day the website is updated giving the exact lunch and dinner locations of dozens of trucks. As great as this website is, my favorite local food truck even takes place the 3rd Friday of each month at 57 Degrees. Each month they have about a dozen trucks show up in their parking lot, and for a $2 admission you can browse the food trucks, figure out what you want to eat, buy your food and actually sit down on benches to eat! They even have a wine bar! This is my idea of how to eat at a food truck. I'll be there in September.

There are many local food truck events, but most of them charge up to $15 admission. These are just opportunities for event planners to make lots of money. I like the idea of food trucks gathering in one spot so that you can check them all out, but they lose me with a big admission fee. I should pay $15 to someone for the privilege of then paying money for my meal? That doesn't sit right with me. I don't mind the $2 at 57 Degrees because you can also buy wine and sit down at tables. I think the food truck revolution is evolving, and in a few months there will be something new. For now, I'll go once a month for a food truck dinner just to see what's new. There is always something new to try. That's one of the things that I really enjoy. Lots of choices and everyone can get what they want, all at a very reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment