Friday, March 30, 2012

Is Prejudice Programmed Into Our Genes?

It always amazes me that scientists are constantly discovering new theories that change what we thought we knew. I recently read an article that got me thinking. Does racism stem from low intelligence? It's not entirely clear, though recent research found links between bigoted thinking and low scores on I.Q. tests. But a new study points to an even deeper explanation for xenophobia and intolerance.

It suggests that prejudice is programmed into our genes. The study was published in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, and suggests that racism is essentially a holdover from ancient history. They say it may stem from the time when humans lived in tribes and it made sense to view outsiders with hostility and fear. The author of this study suggests that the human mind is shaped in a way that tends to perpetuate conflict with outsiders.

Van vugt, the author of the study, was trying to find support for what's known as the "male warrior hypothesis." That is the notion that men evolved to show aggression against other men whom they think belong to an "outgroup."

This notion could also account for the hostility among fans of rival football teams. Evidence suggests that all sorts of human activites that pit one person against another may arise out of the same genetic package.

This theory blows away my own thoughts about racism and prejudice, which I thought existed due to fear and ignorance. Maybe it's something in the genes. I'm sure there will be future studies that show other reasons for racism and prejudice, that I haven't even thought about. For now, I'll stick with my simple idea that fear and ignorance are the greatest producers of racism. Finally, if the male warrior theory is correct, why doesn't everyone have it?

No comments:

Post a Comment