Wednesday, March 21, 2012

There's A New Breakfast Spot In San Diego: Snooze

Recently I spent a few days in Boulder with my children. I had an opportunity to try several new restaurants, most notably Snooze. I had read several months ago that Snooze was coming to Hillcrest soon, after opening three successful restaurants in the Denver area since their inception in 2006. We tried to eat there on a Sunday morning and were faced with a one hour wait. Not a good idea with a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old. So my mom and I went back on Monday morning and had a fabulous breakfast with no wait. Snooze recently opened on 5th Avenue in Hillcrest. It's a winner. Everything is made from scratch and much of their food is organic. Their menu options are unique. Snooze also serves a limited lunch menu, but breakfast is the meal to try. They're open from 6:30am-2:30 daily. Go to www.snoozeeatery.com to learn more about the company and view the menu.

Here's what we sampled. Pancakes. That is their specialty. They are light and fluffy and not too big. I hate the pancakes that take up the whole plate and feel like a weight in your stomach. We had the pineapple upside down pancake which was loaded with pineapple chunks and a great sweet sauce. This was a complimentary addition to our meal since we were first timers. They also have pumpking pancakes with nuts and pralines. Yum. I ordered a bowl of vanilla yogurt topped with homemade granola which was fantastic. It was served with a half grapefruit, topped with brown sugar and carmelized under the broiler. I also got an english muffin. For all this, the price was $8. My mom had the oatmeal topped with strawberries and bananas and served with cream. Other great breakfast items include Snooze spuds deluxe, a heaping portion of hash browns, covered with melted cheese , scallions plus two veggies, meats or combo. Juan's breakfast tacos cons

ist of three fresh corn or flour tortillas filled with scrambled eggs, shredded hash brown, jack cheese and ranchero sauce. Of course all the typical egg and omelette dishes are also on the menu.

Prices are very moderate, most items priced around $8. The portion size is huge. I suggest splitting everything. I walked out of Snooze stuffed, and anxious to go back for another meal. They're pancakes will bring you back again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment