Thursday, March 15, 2012

Moving: A New Beginning

Preparing for our impending move has worn me out. We have moved four times in the past 10 years, and it becomes harder each time. Moving costs are high, and with each move we do more and more of the heavy work ourselves. We've been in our current home for almost six years. The garage is piled with boxes that have never been opened. Ron and I decided that before moving them all to the new garage that we would go through each and every one of the 40 boxes. We did, and the result was that we ended up with only 12 boxes to move. The rest was thrift shop giveaways or throwaways. I had trouble with the cleansing process. It's so hard to get rid of those old platters, vases, dishes, pictures, books and chotchkees that you know you'll never use again, but I did eliminate a whole lot. It really was very therapeutic.

Someone said to me that for the first half of our lives we accumulate stuff, and for the last half we eliminate. So true. We need so much less than we think we do. Can you imagine that all the stuff in those 40 boxes was never missed?

As much as I dislike the whole process of moving, changing my address with SDGE and ATT and all the other changes that have to be made, I do look at moving as a new beginning, especially for Ron and I at this stage in our lives. A new house, a new dog, lots of umpiring, and hopefully lots of accounting work. It gives us a chance to renew our positive attitude toward the future, to look forward to what can be and hopefully will be.

The moving process is exhausting, but at the end of the day we'll be in a beautiful new home, with a lot less "baggage." The three of us will curl up in bed on Monday night after the move, and love where we are. Now I just have to get through the move itself. I'm trying to figure out a safe place for Pepper to stay during the moving day, and I think he'll be going to doggie daycare. I'm working on that right now, and I can't wait to write the blog about my experience of finding a day care for my dog. You won't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment