Friday, March 13, 2009

Breakfast on a Budget

Several months ago, when the stock market started to go south and unemployment headed north, I decided to try an experiment. We all use coupons and club cards at the market, but I thought there must be a way to save even more money. So, I shopped exclusively at the 99 cent store for one week, and prepared 21 meals using ingredients from that store. I wasn't sure it could be done, but I did prepare delicious and healthy meals at a fraction of what I had been spending. Here are the seven breakfasts I prepared and the cost of each per person.

1. corn flakes with sliced banana and milk, toast with margarine and jam, juice, $.50 per person

2. sausage and eggs, toast with margarine and jam, juice, $1.00 per person.

3. pancakes and syrup, sausage, sliced strawberries, $1.00 per person

4. shredded wheat and sliced strawberries, toast with margarine and jam, juice, $.50 per person.

5. cheese omelette, sliced tomatoes, toast with margarine and jam, juice, $1.00 per person.

6. french toast with syrup , pork sausage linkes, sliced fruit, $1.00 per person

7. bagels with peanut butter and raisins, sliced berries, juice, $.50 per person.

So for under $6.00 you can purchase and prepare everything you need for breakfast. Remember, that produce is seasonal at the 99 cent store. Check them out at www.99only.com. I'll have more on my 99 cent store experiment next week. I learned one thing for sure. This store is not just for movie candy!

1 comment:

  1. The 99 cents people told me that the best day for fresh produce is Wednesday. (In Encinitas, I go to 99 first then Henry's across the street to get both week's specials)

    ReplyDelete