Friday, March 20, 2009

The Sights and Tastes of Spring, Part 1





Several weeks ago my mom and I drove to Fresno to visit my niece. It's normally a boring drive, but springtime made it very special. The last 60 miles was one of the most beautiful spectacles I have ever seen. Almond trees in bloom as far as the eye could see. At first we didn't know what they were, and we were thinking they were cherry trees, but California does not grow that many cherries. I finally saw a small sign that said "almonds" and realized we were near Fresno, the largest almond producing area in the U.S. The pictures I have included is what we saw for close to an hour, white blossoms on some trees, pale pink on others. You might be wondering what those white boxes are. They are bees! The beest are kept in a cool dark place during the winter, then shipped to Caifornia when the almond trees bloom. Very interesting. Something I did not know. This beautiful visual made the trip to Fresno a winner, even if I hadn't been going to see my favorite niece.




Spring Salad with Almonds


salad greens, your choice
sliced tomatoes
dried cranberries
sliced fresh apple
sliced almonds (Marcona almonds are my favorite)
Trader Joes (http://www.traderjoes.com/) balsamic vinagrette dressing

Toss ingredients together and enjoy. Make it a complete meal by adding a piece of grilled fish or chicken. Even the meat and potatoes men will enjoy this one. Trust me, I've got one at home, and he loves this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment