Friday, April 17, 2009

Gusto Means Great Taste

In Italian, gusto means taste, and great taste is exactly what you will get at Gusto Trattoria in Encinitas. I first heard about the restaurant while talking to my friend Carol during a water aerobics class. Here we are exercising, and talking about food. Anyway, she told me about Gusto and I tried it out, and have been back several times.

The restaurant itself is housed in a shopping center on Encinitas Blvd, but once you walk into the restaurant, you forget where you are. The interior is warm and inviting. It is small, cozy, but the tables are not crowded together. There is also an enclosed patio. You are immediately warmly welcomed and seated by the owner, who is there every night. I have never waited for a table.

The menu is extensive, and so far everything I have tried has been wonderful. The meal begins with a basket of warm bread and some homemade tomato tappenade. Just delicious, and enough to take the edge off if you're really hungry. There are many appetizers and salads to choose from. I have had the spinach salad with tomatoes, bacon and gorgonzola cheese in a light dressing. It was huge, as are all the salads, which I would recommend splitting. The caesar salad is good too, and also large enough to split. Another salad that I recommend is a shrimp salad with tomatoes, gorgonzola and artichokes in a raspberry vinagrette dressing.

The main courses are comprised of the standard Italian fare. But they also have some inovative specials. I recently had tortelloni filled with spinach and prociutto in a cream sauce which I loved. Also excellent was the spaghettini bolognese. Specials abound, and are worthy of your attention. Trout almondine with veggies and mashed potatoes was outstanding. On another occasion, pork chops and veggies and pasta was delicious. As with the salads, unless you are a big eater, meals can be split. I hear the gnocchi is the best in town.

Desserts, which I haven't tried but look delicious, include tiramisu and lemon meringue tart. Overall, I would give Gusto very high marks for good service, good atmosphere, excellent and inovative food, and moderate prices. The average entrees (fish ,beef, chicken, veal) are around $20. The pasta dishes are around $14. The appetizers vary from $6 to $10. Give Gusto a try next time you want a new Italian experience. I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment