Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Quick Getaway


One of my favorite three night getaways, alone, or with friends, is the Oaks at Ojai (www.oaksspa.com). Just four hours by car from San Diego and you'll be in the small town of Ojai, filled with beautiful oak trees, friendly residents, many Spanish style buildings, and mountains everywhere. The town itself is home to many artists and craftsmen, beautiful stores with one of a kind items, and not too far away, there is a hot spring. But I digress. I want to tell you about the spa itself. I have been there many, many times since their grand opening, which I think was in the 1980's.

The Oaks was founded by Sheila Cluff, a vivacious woman in her 70's, who is still actively involved in the spa, although her daughter now manages it. Sheila is often on site leading a 7am walk! The spa is casual, friendly and very professional. The cost is under $200 per person, per night, for food, accomodations, and all activities. The only extra is spa treatments. The Oaks does not have a separate spa, just spa rooms on the main floor of the main building. However, their treatments are among the best I have ever had, and the prices are reasonable. The food is spa cuisine, based on 1200 calories a day, and is pretty good. If you are not interested in weight loss they will give you extra food.

The activities at the Oaks start at 6am with a 5 mile morning hike for those who are really fit. If I recall, they have a picnic breakfast along the way. At 7am there are two walks, one brisk, and one slower paced. The rest of the day is filled with aerobic classes: water aerobics, stretch, yoga, pilates, hoop classes, step classes and meditation. The teachers are top notch, and the spa always has something new. Last time I was there I took my first hula hoop class, a new concept at the time.

Accomodations are good, and they are upgrading constantly to improve them. Originally the rooms were very small and basic, but over the years they have worked hard to improve them, and now even have several suites. I recommend the cabins, not the main building.

Finally, the people who work there, and those that go there on vacation, are warm and friendly. I have gone there alone, and never felt lonely. Someone will always ask you to join them for lunch or dinner. It's a peaceful place for women (there are some men, but I wouldn't recommend it for men) to relieve stress, relax, and maybe even lose a few pounds. All this, and at a price most people can still afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment