Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Computers Can Make Me Crazy

Several days ago I started getting messages on my computer saying a virus had infected my computer, was stealing personal information, transferring data, in short scaring me to death. What are you supposed to do? Well, I called my computer techie and he explained it all to me. Offshore companies somehow get into your computer. Their hope is not to steal your information (although that could happen too) but to get you to buy their anti virus protection. I thought I already had protection!!! They are able to install their program on your computer, and even if you uninstall it, it still keeps reinstalling.

This is unamerican!! What I mean is, that if it were an American company doing this, the FBI would be all over them. But these companies are offshore and are not regulated by American law. So now I have to spend over $100 to have someone remove all my programs and clean up the computer. Then I have to put everything back together. What a pain. Did I mention that between backing up my information and schlepping twice to the computer store I wasted a half a day?

This doesn't make me happy, but I guess it's part of life in the 21st century. Just another thing that I can't fix myself. Remember when they used to teach auto shop or home economics in high school? I think today they need to teach people how to repair basic computer problems, program telephones, radios, vcr's and watches. Oh, and i pods. I had to have my 16 year old neighbor come over to help me load songs on my i pod. How embarassing. She thought I was so stupid. As it is, I wait for my kids to come down to visit to fix basic computer problems or help me program a new phone. I'm not sure that all the fancy gadgets we have today are actually making life easier. If you add up all the time spent talking to customer service in the Philippines or India, and not getting any resolution, maybe these gadgets aren't such timesavers, but I'm sure we can't get along without them.

1 comment:

  1. Susie
    I got a kick out of tech frustration blog and so did Ashlee. Had to show her the reference to her helping you with the Ipod...she thought it was funny too, and surprised you remembered it; AND she did not think you were stupid lol
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete