Monday, June 15, 2009

I Love the Fair


The San Diego County Fair (http://www.sdfair.com/) is back in town. It runs from June 12-July 5, with a few Mondays off. I really do love a good county fair. During my childhood, a trip to the Pomona Fair was a yearly ritual. There I saw my first calf born, cows milked, sheep sheared, and horses shod. I think I'm a farmgirl at heart, for even today, it's the animals that I go to see.

I realize most people go for the rides, the food, and the music. Don't get me wrong, I love all that too. So let me tell you a few things you can expect this year from our local fair, one of the biggest and best in the country.

First, the price. Yes, it has gone up. $13 for adults, $7 for seniors (age 62+), $7 for kids 6-12, and free for all others. Albertsons gives coupons for $2 off the adult fare. Parking costs $10, but there are several areas with free parking and shuttle service. The Horsepark on El Camino Real and Via de la Valle provides free parking daily, with shuttle service to the front entrance of the fair. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday free parking and shuttle service is available at Mira Costa College San Elijo Campus and Torrey Pines High School.

Second, what's new at the fair. Lots of contests. Art and photography competitions will introduce you to some new talent in our area. Check out the photography where my friend Jan has several photos displayed and received honorable mention. They have dance contests of all types. There are bubble blowing contests, best animal noise contest, Ghiradelli Chocolate championship and a jalapeno eating contest. This is only a small sample of the variety of competitions you might see on any given day.

Third, let's talk about food. There is so much new I almost got sick reading about it. Here is a list of some new food items you may want to try this summer: deep fried s'mores, barbequed spaghetti in a bun, deep fried cheese curds, zucchini weenie (hot dog inside a zucchini, then deep fried in special batter), and finally, the only thing that I could find that was reasonably healthy, grilled asparagus and jerk chicken. (that actually sounds delicious). There's much more, but I think you get the idea. Think deep fried! Prices for food have always been high, and this year will be no exception.

It could be an expensive day, and the only way to keep the price down a bit is to bring your own water. I think that is allowed. I know the drinks are expensive, and it will probably be hot when you go.

Finally, the music. The fair has some top entertainment, and separate tickets are required for much of the music. However, they do have a Solid Gold Series which is free. It is singers and groups that became famous during the 1960"s and 1970"s. You may see some of your old favorites.

There is something at the fair for everyone, so go, have a great time, and pig out. Some of those foods they're offering this year you may never see again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment