Friday, June 5, 2009

Sunday Afternoon in Encinitas


When Ron and I used to travel alot, one of our favorite ways to spend a few hours in a foreign city was to visit the local markets. Every city had one, and it was a great way to talk to the locals and just mingle. Well, our outdoor markets here at home offer the same opportunity. I can't get Ron into Ralph's or Von's, but an outdoor market is a different story.

I have been checking out the local markets over the past few weeks, and although none of them compare in size to the ones I like in Los Angeles, our local farmers do offer great quality and variety. I visited Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar. Far and away the best market, in my opinion, is the Sunday afternoon market at Ecke Elementary School on Vulcan in Encinitas. Great variety, quality, quantity and many extras.

The best thing about the farmers at this market and most markets, is their willingness to talk and explain how their food is grown. They want you to ask questions. I am learning so much just by spending a little time shopping for what I need anyway, and asking questions.

This particular market had many unusual products as well. Handmade artisan salamis were delicious. Fresh honey, in six or seven flavors was delightful. The producer was there to explain the process and the variety of flowers that are used to produce honey. One stand had the best jerkey I've ever had. Of course fresh flowers can be bought, as well as of all kinds of plants. Finally, there are many prepared foods, most of which were fabulous.

Going to this farmers market around lunchtime is a great idea. Some of the foods offered include hand made tamales, at least 10 different types, hand made blinis (like a large blintz) filled with a variety of ingredients, some sweet, some savory, hummus, baba ganouche and tabouli and pita, shish kabob and crepes. Ron loved the idea of going to the farmers market, buying a few items, sampling a few interesting products, and having a wonderful lunch from one of the above mentioned stands that fill the air with a most wonderful aroma. I took this as an opportunity for us to spend some time together, enjoy the outdoors, and of course have a wonderful meal. Last time I was there I had one beef tamale, it was huge and stuffed with shredded beef. I could hardly finish it. I can't wait to go back and try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment