Thursday, June 25, 2009

What's the Best Food You Ever Ate?

When asked this question, I was stumped for an answer. I have had many memorable meals and have many favorite foods, but to name the one best thing I ever ate is nearly impossible. But it did get me thinking. I hope by now you're thinking about the best food you ever ate, too.

I am reminiscing about meals I had many years ago, in France and Italy. Were they really as good as I remember? I've found that things are seldom the way you remember them to be. The best example is when I went back to my high school, which I remember as such a big, imposing place. It seemed so small to me when I saw it again many years later. I think the food that I remember as being so wonderful really wasn't that great.

When I was in college I went to Europe with my friend Linda. While in Florence we discovered a restaurant that had the most delicious lasagna you can imagine. We ate there several times on that trip, and many years later, I tried to find the restaurant again. It was gone. But my memory of that lasagna is still with me, and I've never had another dish quite like it. I wonder if I actually had it again if it would still be that good. Probably not.

One of the best foods I ever ate was a pie I used to make in the 1970's. It's called Angel Fruit Pie. I haven't made it in 30 years but am going to make it tomorrow to see if it's as good as I remember. Meringue crust, homemade vanilla custard, fresh fruit and whipped cream. How bad could it be?

Did I get you thinking about some of the great foods you have eaten? I hope so and maybe you'll try to recreate one of those wonderful dishes. Unfortunately, things are seldom as you remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment