Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Birthday Bash


Birthdays are no longer a one day celebration, at least not in my family. This year, for the big 65, I had several celebrations, each one memorable in its own way. It began the week before my birthday with a sushi lunch with a number of friends, and ended in Boulder with a gourmet meal prepared by Phil for myself and his family. In between I had a family dinner in Los Angeles with Mom, David, Brian and Beth (children). The week after my birthday I had another lunch with a group of seven friends. We used to go out for each person's birthday, but with everyone's busy schedule we now get together three times a year, celebrating two or three birthdays at a time.

On the night of my birthday my friend Marlene, invited me to dinner at her house. She doesn't get an opportunity to show off her cooking skills very often, as she has a teenage daughter who doesn't usually want to eat what she eats. So she cooked one of her favorite recipes for me, and I just loved it, and will share it with you. It's simple to make. Only 15 minutes from start to finish, so don't save it for a special occasion.

Marlene's Fettuccine with Artichokes, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Walnuts

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 6oz can of artichoke hearts, marinade reserved
1/2 c. white wine
1/4 cup sour cream (use lite if you want)
3 T. chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes (or to taste)
1/3 cup +2 T. chopped chives for top
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients, including liquid from the artichoke hears, stir until smooth, then cook for 15 minutes until sauce reduces and thickens. Prepare fettuccine or any other pasta of your choice. I think wide noodles are better. Rinse fettuccine, pour sauce over and mix. Top with chives. That's it. It's delicious.

With a salad and some crusty bread and of course a great wine, you will have a feast in no time flat. I brought a 1999 Sicilian red wine called Passomaggio, which I just love. It really topped off a delicious meal. Thanks, Marlene. Hope you all enjoy the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment