Thursday, March 4, 2010

More New Restaurant Openings

North County is booming with new restaurants. I have four more new eateries to tell you about, most will be opening soon. It still amazes me that investors are putting up their hard earned money and investing in a restaurant in these trecherous times.

In San Marcos, another branch of The Broken Yolk is opening in the space formerly occupied by Chili's (right next to the Elephant Bar). San Marcos really needs a breakfast place.

On Coast Highway 101 in Leucadia, you will soon find Jawz. This is a grilled fish taco restaurant, that I can't wait to try. If it's any good, it will do very well. It's a little hole in the wall and I haven't seen the menu yet, but it sounds very promising.

In Encinitas, again on Coast Highway 101 and located right next to Honey's in the heart of Encinitas, is East Village Asian Diner. The diner is scheduled to open around March 8. I went by the restaurant today to check out the menu and talk to the owners. They have developed a wonderful menu, with several Asian styles represented. There is Chinese and Vietnamese, also curry dishes, several soups and lots of salads. You can get garlic noodles, wonderful soups with shrimp or pork, salads, Vietnamese style spring rolls, fried calamari, and so much more. I'm looking forward to this new addition to the area.

Finally, in Del Mar, on the corner of 15th and Camino del Mar, in the space previously occupied by Java Kai, comes Smashburger. It's a chain, new to California. It sounds fantastic. 1/3 or 1/2 pound burgers done five different ways (bacon, chilis, cheese, mushrooms, etc). Then they have sides like fries and haystack onions. They also have hot dogs done several ways, including Chicago style. So many people I know have been aching for a Chicago style hot dog, and it really doesn't exist around here. This place will be a big winner if it's as good as it looks. Many years ago, this same Del Mar center had Johnny Rockets. I don't know why they failed, but I think there is more traffic in that area now and Smashburger has a good chance for success.

As I go to these new places I will review them. If you get there before me, please let me know how you liked them. You might even save me a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment