Thursday, March 18, 2010

Give the Ugli Fruit a Try




I'm a big proponent of buying locally grown or at least regional fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Once in a while I like to try something unusual, and as I was walking through Whole Foods not long ago, I spotted the ugli fruit. I had eaten it years ago in Jamaica, and had forgotten how delicious (but expensive) it was. I'll tell you a little more about it.




It really is ugly. It's probably a cross between a tangerine and grapefruit. It's very juicy, it has no seeds, and it's quite sweet, usually sweeter than a tangerine. It's about the size of a big orange. You can quarter it and eat it, or just peel it like an orange. The fruit is aptly named because it's exterior is knotted and bumpy, but it's really delicious. Many stores are carrying more exotic fruits, like Whole Foods, and I have heard but cannot verify, Wal Mart. The fruit was recently $2.99 each at Whole Foods, but I heard from someone that they were $.99 each at Wal Mart. Apparently they are not grown in America, and I don't really know why. They would grow beautifully in Florida with it's hot, humid weather, but there must not be demand for them yet. Someday.




What else can you do with an ugli fruit besides peel it and eat it? One, you can make an exotic drink out of it. In Jamaica, the juice of the ugli fruit is added to other fruit juices and rum, to make a cool refreshing cocktail. Also, the skin of the fruit can be boiled and turned into delicious marmalade. It would taste similar to orange marmalade. If you get a chance, give it a try. I think you'll be happy to find out that an ugly fruit can be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment