Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Baking With Phyllo Dough



I used to throw big parties when I lived in Los Angeles, and I did all the cooking for most of them. As I got a little older and lazier, I would often have my parties catered, but for the most part I would cook. One of my favorite hors d'oeuvres was a phyllo dough triangle filled with cheese or spinach. I never knew then I was making spanikopita. It wasn't until my son Phil bought a line of Greek food that I knew the name for what I had been making for many years.

The nice thing about this hors d'oeuvres is that you can make hundreds of them at a time, freeze them, and have them on hand for any occasion. I used to make a whole package worth of phyllo dough at one time, often making them assembly line style with my kids or my mom. They are still one of my all time favorites. Now I also use them as part of a Mediterranean meal, with hummus, tzidaki, pita and falaffel. Delish.

Spanikopita

2 cups mixed grated cheeses. (jack and cheddar is good)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, well chopped
3 eggs, beaten
(you may have to adjust the ingredients above to make a mixture that is firm. The egg is just to bind it all together)

Take phyllo doug, cut the whole package into 4 inch strips. Cover the dough with a damp cloth or it will dry out. Each strip will become one triangle. Melt butter, brush the strip of phyllo dough lightly with butter, add a spoon of the cheese mixture at one end, then roll in a triangle and make sure it is sealed.

Place triangles on a cookie sheet, put in freezer, and freeze for 15 minutes. Then transfer to an air tight baggie. These will last for months.

When ready to serve, remove what you need, place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees, until light brown on top. They can also be done in the toaster over.

Other options are to use ricotta cheese and spinach mixture, or cheese and green chilis, for a little spice.

This is a great rainy day cooking activity, one you'll be glad you did, because you'll have a great treat on hand for your guest or your family. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment