Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fish 101

Do you know how some locations are just losers? Everything that moves into some spaces fails. There's a spot on Highway 101 that I thought was one of the losers, until Fish 101 came along. What a winner! I was there for dinner last week, and I can't wait to go back. Previously it had been 2 other fish restaurants that failed. Who knows what makes a restaurant successful?

Fish 101 is small. It's right on Highway 101 in Leucadia. It only seats about 25 people outside, another 20 or so on the back patio, and a dozen or so on the front patio. Right now during the warm weather everyone wants to sit outside, but when the cooler weather arrives, who knows what will happen? Maybe they have heaters.

The food is delicious. I had the fish plate of the day for $12.95. I had a large piece of mahi mahi, delicious crispy french fries, and creamy coleslaw. Mike had a plate of 3 fish tacos for his entree, and started the meal with 6 nice size shrimp and cocktail sauce. Ron had the grilled shrimp plate (shrimp on a skewer) with 2 sides, fries and coleslaw. Debbie had a yummy grilled shrimp sandwich. We were stuffed and could not eat dessert, but I plan to leave room for dessert next time. The wife of the owner is a pastry chef, and each day she makes, or has made, delicious sweet desserts. Their creme brulee is supposed to be killer. Other offerings at Fish 101 include fish wraps and sandwiches, and lots of fried fish, including fish and chips, po boy sandwich, and fried shrimp. There is definitely something for everyone.

It's a casual place, where you go to the counter, order your food, then they bring you your meal. The tables are comfortable and not too close together, something that is always important to me. Pelly's has always been my favorite restaurant of this type, but I think I'll be going back to Fish 101 again soon. If their clam chowder is good, which I suspect it is, they'll be my new favorite casual fish restaurant in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment