Friday, October 14, 2011

What is Banh Mi?


Banh Mi is a Vietnamese baguette sandwich, stuffed with a variety of meats, vegetables and spices. It is absolutely delicious. By accident I stumbled into a strip center in San Marcos with 2 different Vietnamese restaurants in it, one being a restaurant simply called, Banh Mi. For $3.25 I had a fantastic sandwich.

I chose the barbequed pork sandwich from the list of 15 possible sandwich combinations. It was served on a long French baguette, maybe 8-9 inches in length. The sandwich contained barbequed pork, mayonnaise, pickled carrots, daikon, cilantro, cucumber slices and a few jalapeno slices for just a bit of heat. I can't wait to go back again. They also have sandwiches containing shredded pork, ham, chicken, tofu, and sardines. What have I been missing? Banh Mi is at 706 Rancho Santa Fe Rd. in San Marcos. It's just a little take out place with a few tables for dining in customers. They also offer soup (not pho, but another soup with noodles and chicken) and drinks, including Thai iced tea and boba drinks.

There is another full service Vietnamese restaurant in the same center, which I will try at another time. It had white table cloths, moderate prices, and was packed both times I went by. It must be good.

Sometimes we find great food in the least likely places. If I hadn't stopped at CVS for hot tamales to take with me to the movies (Moneyball), I never would have found Banh Mi. Now that I know about it, it's going to be hard to keep me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment