Monday, October 24, 2011

New Friends

Over the weekend we had the good fortune to spend some time with Linda and Rod, my friends from Bakersfield that I met while Ron was at Taft. Rod's work involves travel, and an occasional trip to San Diego, so when Linda told me they would be here for a few days, I jumped at the chance to see them. I have a two year relationship with them that developed, thanks to an introduction by Carole Santos, into a very close bond. I spent many nights at their home, talking, laughing and complaining. I was there with them for Christmas, and I was there with them the night before Ron was released. Ron's only contact with them had been for a few minutes at a time. We would talk a little in the visiting room when they came to see their son. Would Ron like them as much as I liked them? Would they get along? After all, these were friends that I made based on our common situation. We both had a loved one at Taft.

I was told often that the people you meet during the prison experience are left behind once you are released. Neither Ron nor I believe this. If you truly care about people, how do you just walk away from them? I'm not naive enough to believe that I will see Linda and Rod on a regular basis, after all they live in Bakersfield and will probably move back to Washington State at some point, but with phone and e-mail, we can always keep in touch, and I intend to do just that. I care about them, their son, and their futures. I know they feel the same.

Our Saturday was wonderful. Linda and I spent much of the day in Little Italy and walking along the Embarcadero. It was Farmer's Market Day in Little Italy, so we spent a lot of time there, something Linda doesn't get to do very oftern. The great thing about Linda is that she is game for anything, so we shopped, took in some beautiful outdoor art, ate, and enjoyed the beutiful views. That evening the four of us got together for a great time. Although we are all very different, we have a common bond and an interest in each other. Linda and Rod got to know Ron in the real world for the first time. It was a great evening and hopefully Rod's work will bring him to San Diego again very soon. After all, Ron can't travel, so it will be years before we can come to see them. Linda and Rod are one of the wonderful things that came out of the Taft experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment