Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Garcias in Encinitas...It's Muy Bueno

The newest Mexican restaurant to come to Encinitas is Garcias (1486 Encinitas Blvd. 760 942 1259). Their original restaurant is in Carlsbad Village, a small space on a side street. The new place (in the old Herchel's location) is contemporary and very upscale. The space is furnished with bright colors, a beautifu mirrored bar, flat screen tv's, and comfortable tables and chairs. You walk in and immediately you feel comfortable. Everyone is friendly. I've been there three times and have never had to wait. (we eat early). If you do have to wait, there's a firepit and seating area outside that looks very inviting.

Your server will immediately bring you a bowl of delicious, spicy salsa and fresh hot chips. They are great. I know the salsa is made in house, as each time I've eaten there the salsa has had a different degree of heat. I love knowing that the food is fresh.

So far I have tried fajitas, tamales, enchiladas, and tacos. Everything has been good, the tamales we excellent. The ingredients are fresh. I love shredded chicken in my tacos (not just little cubes), and Garcias delivered.

Portions are huge. I would recommend splitting full entrees. With the chips and salsa, you'll have plenty. One special note. Garcia's offers either white, wheat or gluten free tortillas. This is the first restaurant I have seen that offers so many options. I guess if people keep asking for healthier choices some restaurants will listen. Garcia's obviously did and I hope it pays off for them. Give them a try next time you feel like something new. By the way, it's great for kids too.

No comments:

Post a Comment