Friday, January 22, 2010

My Favorite Mexican Casserole



When my kids were growing up one of the biggest challenges was finding dinner entrees that everyone would like. My Mexican casserole, which I just created one night, was a family favorite at our house. My son Brian, married for just two years, asked for the recipe the other day. He has always loved it and wants to make it for his wife Beth. I gladly gave them ther recipe. I hope you enjoy it too. There are lots of variations to this recipe, so feel free to experiment.




Mexican Casserole




1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained (you could also use ground turkey)


1 can corn kernels


1 can pinto beans


1 small can sliced olives


1 can tomatoes, crushed (do not use the juice from the tomaoes. It will make the dish too runny)


grated cheese ( I like a combo of jack and cheddar, but a spicy jack would also be great)


flour tortillas, either white or wheat flour




Place tortillas in the bottom of a large pyrex pan, next to each other but not over lapping. Then layer ingredients (use 1/2 of each ingredient). The order doesn't matter, but you want the cheese on top. Then add another layer of tortillas, and again layer the beef, corn, tomatoes, olives, beans and cheese.




Cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until it's bubbly and the cheese is melted and browned. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares, like lasagna, and serve with a green salad. I promise, everyone young and old will love it.




For a little variety, you can sprinkle tortilla chips on the bottom instead of tortillas, and again for the second layer. They will get soggy during cooking, but will add a little crunch to the dish.




Top each serving with a big dollop of sour cream. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment