Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Yikes...I'm Almost on Medicare


Reading the official government handbook on medicare will make even the smartest among us question their intelligence. As if turning 65 was bad enough, trying to understand your options as a medicare recipient is downright impossible. How many pieces of junk mail did I get from health care companies, soliciting my business? Aetna, United, Blue Cross, AARP all spend millions trying to get our money. How is any reasonably intelligent individual supposed to figure it out?




I spent hours reading about deductibles, donut holes, prescription plans, covered services, not covered services, penalties, medigap and more. What did I find out? I found out that I couln't figure it out on my own, and called in a professional to walk me throught the process. I finally settled on a Part D Supplement from Blue Cross that I hope will meet my needs. We'll see.




I feel like I know as much or more about our crazy health insurance program than the average person, due to what I have experienced in the past year. One year ago my Cobra ran out, and I had one year to go before Medicare kicked in. I had to get private insurance for 13 months. I applied to Blue Cross, with whom I had been insured for over 30 years. They rejected me due to preexisiting conditions. What person at age 63 doesn't have preexisting conditions? I even tried to get my neck surgery or anything related to it excluded, but no, I was just rejected. So I tried other companies, including Kaiser. I was rejected by all.




Fortunately, California has a high risk insurance pool that you can apply to, and they have to take you. Kind of like the high risk insurance for drivers. Anyway, I was finally approved for Kaiser, but I had to go seven months without any insurance. What I got was a policy that cost over $600 a month, with all kinds of deductibles and co pays. I was just happy to have something, in case something catastrophic happened.




Luckily, I made it through both the uninsured months and the six months with Kaiser with no emergencies. I never thought I'd feel as happy, and relieved as the day I got my Medicare card. That meant I could go back to my old doctors. Someone asked me during the period I was uninsured, when I would be boogie boarding again. "Not until I have insurance" was my immediate answer. Now I've got good insurance, and can go back to boogie boarding, but not until the water warms up. Now all I have to do is find a doctor who can figure out what's wrong with my leg!!






No comments:

Post a Comment