Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Resolution: More Calcium

It's a new year, and a new opportunity to make resolutions. I know, some of us have stopped making resolutions because it's so hard to follow through. Well, here's one promise I am making to myself that I know I can stick to. I'm going to increase my calcium intake and decrease my risk of developing osteopena or osteoporosis.

Several years ago Fran, Jan and myself went to the Oaks at Ojai (www.oaksspa.com) for a few days of exercise, healthy eating and relaxation. Each night they have a guest lecturer speaking on a variety of topics. While we were there we listened to a nurse speak on osteoporosis. I thought I knew a lot about the disease, but she really deepened my understanding. This is such an easy problem to turn around. It just takes a few small changes. Here is some of what I found out. As with all medical topics, always check with your doctor before starting a new regime or changing old ones.

1. Eat foods high in calcium. This includes dairy products, especially yogurt, but don't forget about leafy greens, beans and seeds. Leafy greens are high in calcium and don't produce some of the side effects of milk products, such as digestion problems and mucous. Orange juice contains both calcium and vitamin D. The body cannot absorb calcium without vitamin D. Another bonus of orange juice is it's high vitamin C content.

2. Sit in the sun, without sunscreen, for 10-20 minutes per day. This is important, but you are advised to do this when the sun is not at full strength. Before 10am or after 3pm are the best time for catching some rays. In between, wear sunscreen. The purpose of sunbathing is to allow the body to absorb vitamin D, an important component in warding off osteoporosis.

3. Take calcium supplements, between 1200 and 1500 mg per day. Be sure to take calcium carbonate, the easiest type to absorb. It must also be formulated with magnesium. Liquid calcium in a citrate base is an excellent choice, easy to add to juice drinks or shakes. remember to take your calcium in several doses throught the day, as the body cannot absorb it all at once. Many years ago my ob/gyn told me to start taking Tums everyday. What he didn't tell me, and probably didn't know at the time, was that the calcium in Tums does not absorb as well as calcium citrate, thus it was doing me very little good. Take only 500-600 mg at a time.

4. Try to give up soft drinks. This is a hard one for me. I'm not sure I can do it. However, the carbonated drinks deplete the calcium in your bones, because they contain phosphoric acid, which makes calcium pass out of your system in the urine.

5. Make sure that your multi vitamin or calcium supplement contains trace minerals. It may not sound like much, but trace mineras are essential to bone formation. Boron, manganese, copper, zinc and vitamin K are important in the bone building process.

I always make new year's resolutions. Rarely do I stick to them very long. I'm hoping I will be able to incorporate some of these changes into my daily life and help keep my bones straight and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment