Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are You Ready For A $20 Movie?

I'm sure you've noticed how the prices of movies keeps creeping up. UltraStar used to be the biggest bargain around. You could clip the coupon from the UT and see a movie for $5 almost anytime. Those days are gone. I guess we better get used to it. I just went to see The Help this afternoon and paid $8 and was happy, considering how the cost of many theatres is as much as $12.

Now that looks cheap. The Cinepolis theatres are the latest rage. Both La Costa and Del Mar Heights theatres closed and are reopening as upscale, mostly adult theatres (serving alcohol). The cheapest seat is around $19. That's for an extra special seat that swivels and reclines. In addition, food can be ordered at your seat and brought to you, while the movie is playing. This simply does not appeal to me. To pay $19 for a movie is outrageous. Who wants to eat food, and listen to others order and eat while they are trying to watch a movie? I don't get it. Apparently the upscale movie theatres are quite popular on the east coast. They're new here, and it remains to be seen whether they will catch on or not. Right now I say NO to a movie this expensive, but I may change my mind. It would take a lot of convincing for me to even go to a movie that costs so much.

Cinepolis is an international chain that has 2,800 screens in 270 theatres in 10 countries, all of them in Latin America. They have been in business since 1947, and this is their first foray into the U.S. market. They plan to go nationwide if all goes well.

I feel these expensive movie houses will only increase the stock in Netflicks. I'm going to buy that stock next week, as I can only see at home rentals becoming more and more popular as the price of movie theatres becomes prohibitive. I never thought I'd live to see the day a movie date would cost a guy close to $75. That's pretty pricy for most people I know.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about Netflix...they also just raised their prices, I'll be paying $5 more now each month for the plan I have...two dvds at a time and unlimited instant viewing. But its still a great service, & we really enjoy bringing up the movies on our tv as well, huge selection to choose from.
    Happily there is still would you believe, a $1 Movie Theatre here in Bakersfield! As soon as the movies have left their first run at all the bigger local theatres they come to the Bakersfield 6 (plex)and all tickets are a $1. I will occasionally take in a week day, late morning showing of something my husband isnt too excited about seeing, & have always been a movie buff!
    Its amazing folks don't seem to mind anti-ing up the $10 and $12 ticket prices to see a movie these days though, and thats just the beginning, after shelling out at the snack counter you could have dined at a 5 star restaurent for the same price!!

    ReplyDelete