Monday, August 22, 2011

Phase Two-Week Four

It's now been more than three full weeks since Ron was released from Taft, and about 10 days that he's been home full time. We've gone to 2 movies, been out for lunch and dinner several times, taken drives along the beach, and seen and talked to lots of old friends. Are we back to "normal?" Not quite.

The adjustment from camp life to real life is much greater than I imagined. Ron made some very strong attachments at Taft. There are one or two men in particular that Ron talks about often. Every time he is "enjoying the moment" on the outside, he thinks of his friends at Taft. It's been hard for him to leave them behind, and harder knowing he will most likely never see them again.

Ron keeps asking me if he's changed. I would say yes and no. His general manner has not changed. He's a joke teller, speaks his mind, knows what he wants and goes after it, and loves his sports. None of this has changed. What has changed is his attitude toward me. He wants to spend lots of time with me, doing things that I like to do. This is new and I like it. Our trip to Smart and Final a few days ago never would have taken place 2 years ago. Ron usually wanted to do what HE wanted to do. Now he wants to do what I want to do. Another big change is tour shared responsibility for taking care of the house. I wanted to make sure that we both shared in household chores, cooking and doing dishes. So far things are working well. I am pleasantly surprised.

There is so much that Ron experienced in the last 19 months that will only be revealed over time. The good and the bad will come out through stories, experiences that remind Ron of an event that took place at Taft, or through our evening talks that get Ron talking. I look forward to hearing it all, but I will not push Ron to discuss anything before he feels ready. There is so much I want to hear, and I will hear it all in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment