Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How We Hate Change

I went to the Y one morning recently to take a water aerobics class for the first time in a while. I was really looking forward to it, but when I got there a sign informed me that the instructional pool was temporarily closed. Disappointed, I went into the locker room to find out what the problem was, and was told they had overchlorinated the pool and were airing out the area because of chlorine fumes. I was disappointed, as I had planned my day around a morning workout at the pool. I guess others felt the same way. I heard others lamenting the fact that they'd made the effort to get to the pool and now there would be no class. Most of them went home.

As it turned out, the class was taught in the lap pool, which is colder, 78 degrees, and many students don't like the cooler water. Actually, most of the people don't like change, and any change in the regular program is an excuse to go home. There are at least 3 other classes that these women could have taken, assuming they didn't like the cooler water. I opted for the stretch class, as I had not brought shoes to cycle or do other gym activities. It just hit me that most of us are so resistant to change. It turned out that only about 8 people of the 30 or so that usually take the water aerobics class took it this day. Most said they didn't want to go in the cold water, and I understand that, but I also think most people just don't like change.

From changing your diet, to changing exercise routines, rearranging furniture in your house, taking a different route to go somewhere in the car, we all tend to stick with what is comfortable. I have certain exercise instructors I really like, and when I arrive and find out they're not teaching, I sometimes go home. I don't like change.

Recently a doctor told me to change my exercise routine to see if it helped my knee/leg problem. That threw me for a loop. I had a great routine that included walking, yoga, dancing, and weights. Fran and I have been walking for about 7 years, and now I would have to eliminate our walks and talks. No more dancing, no more walking for awhile. I hate change.

Actually, change is good for us. It makes us think. Taking the same route to work everyday, then changing that route, is good for you. I will keep trying to adapt and be flexible. It's hard, but it's healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment